Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tortillas and meat make me happy......




Kaden is such a crack up, and I just had to include one of his latest lines from dinner Saturday night. Kevin and I prepared a yummy Mexican food feast - Cafe Rio Pork Salad - so good. Words can't even begin to describe the dressing - addicting! You really must try this recipe it is out of this world, and it is made in a slow cooker, woohoo! I also prepared homemade tortillas, not a bit of Hispanic blood in me, but they turned out pretty good. Who knew making tortillas was so easy! Once Kaden finally got to eat, he said Oh boy, tortillas and meat make me happy!!! We love dinner time around here you can always bet on a good laugh!

P.S. tortilla recipe is as follows: 4 cups flour, 1/8 tsp baking powder, 1/2 cup shortening (I use Morrel snow cap lard), 1 cup warm water, 1 1/2 tsp sea salt (mix together) water and salt) Mix dry ingredients & shortening in bowl, add liquid slowly till a soft dough is formed. Mix well form into a ball, and cover and let rest for about 20 minutes. Form golf ball size balls. Roll into balls, then roll out as thin as you can possibly get them. Cook over medium heat. I use a skillet, but I would think a cast iron skillet would work better, but I don't have one, hence the skillet.

4 comments:

grandma d. said...

You know what? Tortillas and meat make me happy, also!
Looks amazing, of course Kendall and Kylor look very HAPPY too..
I guess that All Dunlaps are happy when eating....
love you all

Dunlap 7 said...

yesiree - fully belly=happy kiddos

Unknown said...

Codi:

I LOVE that salad at Cafe Rio. I can't wait to try the pork recipe when we get back from Hawaii.
Hope everyone is well.
Love, Aunt Margaret

Dunlap 7 said...

I have never eaten at Cafe Rio, but I will definitely try it now. Have a safe and fun trip can't wait to see pictures!